Local time: 22 May 16:00
Location: Camp 4
Weather: Clear and sunny all day, but wind increasing throughout the afternoon. Now very windy.
Hi it’s Paul coming to you from C4. If you have heard the audio update, you’ll know that Attila and I had a lovely climb up to C4 – the weather was great, very warm, little wind, but once we got to the South Col it increased dramatically. I don’t think it’s just localized wind either, because when I look up at Everest, there is a massive plume coming off it.
The wind is too strong to go up in now, and our only hope is for it to die down a little. It’s a real shame. The new forecast has 12 knots of wind around the time we would leave, so hopefully this will eventuate.
If we make an attempt tonight, our Sherpas want to leave at 8pm, this is quite early, so I might push for later, especially if the wind is still blowing hard.
Thanks for all your messages – it’s a really great boost to receive them. Sorry there are no individual replies today.