Location: Gorak Shep
Local Time: 8:30pm
Weather: Fine in the morning, snowing in the afternoon, -3C now
Hi All, it’s Paul coming to you from Gorak Shep, the last stop before Everest base camp.
Last night it snowed heavily and we thought we might have to stay in Lobuche another day, but in the morning it was fine again and there was about 1 foot of fresh snow. We donned our gaters and after about 2 hours of easy walking on the moraine of the Khumbu Glacier we arrived at Gorak Shep. After lunch it started to snow again, so we beat a hasty retreat to our tents.
Climbing Kala Patar
By 5pm the snow had stopped and although it was still cloudy, we decided to climb Kala Patar to see if we could see Everest. We climbed up and fortunately the clouds did clear a bit, but only enough for a small fleeting glimpse of the summit. I am sure there will be plenty of time to go back and get some good shots.
Off to Base Camp tomorrow
It’s snowing again now, but we are tucked into our warm sleeping bags inside our tent, having just had dinner. Tomorrow we are due to head into base camp and we are both really looking forward to see the place we will call home for the best part of the next two months.
To the Jordans, We don’t know when we will reach the summit, but based on the last few years it’s likely to be in the last half of May. At this stage though we aren’t thinking too much of the summit, more about getting to base camp in a healthy state, and then tackling the icefall.
Bye for now,