Location: Everest Base Camp
Local Time: 5:30pm, 14th April
Weather: Sunny and windy, 5C
Hi there, it’s Fiona here,
We’ve decided to delay any further forays up the mountain until Paul’s throat and chest is a bit better – at least a couple more days.
A Visit to the Doc
After a slight worsening of Paul’s throat and a bad night’s sleep, we decided to take a visit to the doctors at the Himalayan Rescue Association at base camp (use of this service is included with our expedition). Paul had already seen them not long after we arrived at base camp but was advised that it had not become infected and to sit it out. Now though, they listened to his chest and checked his throat and advised to start taking antibiotics now. So hopefully he’ll start feeling better in a day or two.
Testing for NASA
The team here has been asked to participate in a study commissioned by NASA to test the effects of high altitude (and oxygen deprivation) on cognitive thinking and language skills. Today we completed the first section of this test – there were 3 parts, some of which already seem very complicated. The plan is that we repeat these tests again once we are at Camp 2 so that the different results can be compared. This is the 5th and final year this study has been going on.
The rest of the day was spent having a shower and then doing some laundry – so feeling nice and clean now.
Chris and Bridge – glad to hear that you made it back to Kathmandu without incident. Hope the rest of your time there goes well.
Best wishes to everyone,