Location: Everest Base Camp
Local Time: 17:25, 13 April
Weather: Overcast, 0C
Hi everyone, its Paul here coming to you from inside our dining tent at Everest base camp, where we have just finished an afternoon snack of popcorn, biscuits, tea and coffee.
The big news today is that the ice fall route is now complete and the first loads have been carried up to Camp 1 by our Sherpas. This is a bit late in the season for establishing Camp 1, but I don’t think it will hold us back. The route to camp 2 is still five days off being in place, however some of our Sherpas are planning to offer assistance to the icefall doctors to speed up the establishment of the route to Camp 2. There are a lot of ladders needed to cross crevases in the Western Cwm and these need to be carried up.
Good map of the camps on Everest
To help you get a feel for the camps on Everest there is a map here.
Some of our gear is up in Camp 1
Our Sherpas took two and a half hours to climb to Camp 1 today with tents, food and stoves to establish the camp. They will go up again tomorrow to complete the setup of the camp, so hopefully we could go up the the day after (Saturday). Today there was word that some parts of the icefall route collapsed, so the icefall doctors will have to repair this before they can continue with establishing the route to camp 2.
Do we go up now or wait for Camp 2?
We are a bit undecided as to the best strategy to take. Some people are planning to go up the icefall on Saturday and sleep a few nights in camp 1 and then come back down to base camp. It would be preferable to be able to go from camp 1 to camp 2, but if the route isn’t established (no ladders are in place), this won’t be an option. We are thinking that if we wait another day or two and then go up, we might be able to time it so that the route to camp 2 is complete. Our plan would then be to go climb to camp 2 and come back to camp 1 and sleep, then the next day go to camp 2 and sleep. We would stay at camp 2 for 3-4 days, climbing a bit higher during the day for acclimatisation, but coming back to camp 2 at night.
It really boils down to how long it’s going to take to get the route through to camp 2 and then the camp established. Hopefully we can find out more tomorrow.
If we could go to camp 1 & 2 in one trip, we would then have to make just one more trip up through the icefall to get up to camp 3; the highest point on our acclimatisation program.
Till next time,
Paula Stout – We haven’t seen Asian Trekking’s camp, but if we do we’ll say Hi to Apa Sherpa and Lhakpa “Gelek” Sherpa.
QECV1 – Our Mingma is not the same as the one you were referring to.
MC – We are keen to hear how Chris and Bridget go in Kathmandu. We have heard the the trekkers who came with us into base camp have all got home safely, but one reported having to go to the airport 7 hours before her flight as there was no other transport available. We have heard on the Sherpa grape vine that the curfew in Kathmandu has ended, but you probably have much more current information than us.
Ken – Great to hear from you – from one satellite service to another! Ken lives in a place called Wallace Rockhole which is about 400 kilometres from Alice Springs in the middle of Outback Australia.
Chris – $4 on an engagement ring – surely there was some error in the satellite transmission!